Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
f3tz3r

Whats up with my japanese maple shoots?

f3tz3r
13 years ago

http://img532.imageshack.us/i/img2014y.jpg/

http://img31.imageshack.us/i/img2015r.jpg/

This is the new shoots of my japanese maple tree, the tops are coming out twisted and sticking together kinda like they are melting.

I cant figure out why? Its getting about 10-12 hours of sun daily.

Thanks,

Andrew

Comments (9)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

That's an awful lot of sun!
    Maybe the tender new growth is getting a bit hot.
    Can you provide a bit of shade in the afternoon?

Also, any sign of aphids?
    I've seen distorted new growth from aphids on various plants....usually corrects itself.

Josh

• jean001
    13 years ago

Aphidd damage is a worthwhile thot when it comes to distorted tip growth. But this looks different.

What sort of weed killer has been used, including a weed-and-feed for the lawn?

• f3tz3r
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have not used any weed killer. This plant is planted in a pot and is about 4ft tall with pot. And i have not fed my grass. Live in rural neighborhood where pretty lawns are few and far between.

• jean001
    13 years ago

Thanks for the feedback.

Since you're rural, any farms in the area that use weedkillers on their acreage? The volatilized vapors of some active ingredients can travel for miles on air currents.

• f3tz3r
    Original Author
    13 years ago

While we do live in a rural area, we aren't close to any major cropping, so it would be unlikely. If you look on my imageshack profile, There is an image with some "wavy" wisteria leaves. That too is an unsolved odd thing that i have never seen. That is the only other freak plant issues that i have. I have 3 rose bushes, which are flourishing immensly.

So i have no idea what this could be.

• redrhodes
    13 years ago

I have the same odd looking leaves on a Shin Deshojo at my house. It's because of too much sun. Try to give it dappled sunlight if it's a choice. I don't have one, and the maple get's a little burned later in the summer, but it will survive and thrive.

Richard

• houstontexas123
    13 years ago

some jm's aren't very tolerant of hot weather and lots of direct sun.

before buying my jm's i looked at several websites to find heat/sun tolerant varieties.

• jean001
    13 years ago

Listen to the other folks er the distortion as I'm probably less familiar with them than are a number of folks on this forum

But when it comes to potential herbicide damage & a statement that "we aren't close to any major cropping," -- well, I work in an Extension Service office. We receive a number of plants damaged in city gardens, none of them near "major cropping."

As a result, my diagnostic instinct is to suspect that anything could have happened, even if the gardener is/was unaware.

• schmoo
    13 years ago

Take one of the terminal tips, squeeze it or flick it a couple of times with your finger (you can also softly pry the very knew leaves open with your finger). Look for little, fast moving insects....that is thrip damage.

Schmoo