Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sue36_gw

Bloodgood questions (size, support)

sue36
15 years ago

Hi everyone. We just purchased a Bloodgood (it's currently over 5' tall) and I'm trying to figure out how close to the porch I can put it. It's on the side of the house, the north side, which gets some morning sun, bright shade during the day, and then some early evening (5:00 or so) sun. We are in zone 5b (our last 2 winters have gone to about -5).

What is you actual experience with how tall and wide this tree will get in this type of zone? I've read numbers all over the map (from 12-30 tall to 6-20 wide). Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Comments (3)

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Even within your climate results will vary with individual site conditions. However, this one is definitely a tree and would grow over 30' tall and somewhat less wide if you had a situation promoting full development. Assuming it survives your winters for decades some day it will probably be wondered why it was planted right next to the house.

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    15 years ago

Sue, bboy is right, you r better off thinking about how FAR from the porch you can get.Or if possible, look into some similar cultivars that really resemble 'bloodgood' but without the mature overall size. There are alot of nice choices out there with similar characteristics. regards AL

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    15 years ago

I wouldn't worry alot about it getting out of controll. Chances are your winters will slow down its growth and with some thought and forsight you'll figure out how to prune it into an attractive shape for decades to come.

Its not like a fast growing silver maple.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths