Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stevew

Shishigashira - brown tipped, curling leaves

Nasoni
16 years ago

I have a recently planted Shishigashira Japanese Maple, that's about 4 ft tall, in Smithfield VA. The soil was amended with some nutri-green compost, and it was not planted too deeply. Mulch was applied after planting. After about a month, the tips of the leaves started turning brown and curling. I have heard this could be wind burn, but I'm not certain. Any ideas? Is there anything that would help this?

Comments (6)

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

Of course there could be numerous reasons but if I were a bettin man I'd put my money on sun damage ..I planted a similar sized one last year in alot of sun and it crisp'd pretty badly ...the leaves are crinkled and you'd think that might help make them more sun tolerant but no it doesn't ,,,of course it could be too much water or wind but I'd put my money on the sun from my experience ... especially in your area where it is probably getting pretty hot now unlike when ya planted it..you do not say whether it was planted sun or shade but with the rep of this tree taking sun I assume you planted in at least part to mostly sun ... My tree this year seems better as far as sun resistance although it was slapped hard by the freeze... I think as with most trees as it ages this crisping will subside except under extreeme hot summer conditions of which nothing is immmuned ...David

• mattlwfowler
    16 years ago

If I may I'd like to add that if what you describe is occuring only on new growth, a fungus problem like anthracnose could be the culprit.

I'm with david though that it could be several things but sounds like sun or hot drying wind to me if it is occuring on leaves that came out in spring.

• wwangatwork
    16 years ago

It's probably just from transplanting. Give it a year at least. Burnt leaves during the first year isn't uncommon. A lot of these plants have been sitting in shaded greenhouses. They just need some time to adjust, but that's imo.

Warren

• staceybeth
    16 years ago

Has anyone used a "watering bulb" for their potted JM? I would like to get some for them to ensure proper watering.
    Thanks.

• conifers
    16 years ago

Nope to the watering bulb. For the above poster, I agree that it isn't uncommon for transplant shock along with summer heat/stress, both.

Dax

• squibt
    16 years ago

I had the same thing happen last year to my Shishigashira. Missed one day of watering in sweltering hot weather...tree in full sun most of the day...brown and culry leaves. I now use a very well draining soil mix, keep it moderatly moist at all times (not wet) but I do water it well every few days in the hot weather and it sits in a partially shaded area that gets sun morning and afternoon for a few hours each. It lives in a pot on a concrete patio so I have to be very carefull. So far all is well but I may move it to a slightly shadier spot as the temp rises.

squibT