Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cocoons on trees

Posted by frecklesb z5 IN (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 13, 05 at 12:21

My four maples have these cocoons. Should I worry or not? If I have to worry, what do I do about it? My plums do not have these.
thanks
frecklesb
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cocoons on trees

Hi,
That looks like scale inects. They are softbodied sucking insects covered by a hard shell. If you crush one dark or red colored liqued comes out. Pretty yuccky. If it is scale, you need to get rid of it, it will weaken and ruin the tree eventually. There are different sprays including dormant oil and insecticidal soap that will help. Do some research or consult a local nursery to see what is recommended in your area. Japanese maples are sensetive to certain kinds of sprays, so make sure whatever you chose is ok for them specifically. Hope that helps
Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here