Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese Maple Seeds

Posted by myyellowstang 8 TX (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 4, 06 at 12:44

We didn't want to pay the $300 the nursery was asking for this tree, so we got someone to give us some seeds. Do I just drop them in dirt or do I do something special?

They have been sitting in my car for a month at least, I hope that I didn't ruin them, I forgot about them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese Maple Seeds

WHAT TREE??? If it was 300$ it much have been really big!!! ... if it's a named cultivar and you like that look your seeds will most likely NOT look the same even if it came from the same tree . And will take many years to grow to a nice size . You can get nice sized JM's for alot cheaper than on line or possbly at k mart walmart or another nursery.... unless you want a ten foot mature tree which again begs the question why would you want seeds ... you post does not offer enough info ..I leave it to someone else to do the seed thing but there is a method to "do" seeds ...and so far it doesn't look like you have followed it who knows whether your friend has...and as I said seeds could look like just about anything!!! David

o
RE: Japanese Maple Seeds

If you don't want to spend a lot of money on a Japanese maple, I would suggest going to a Lowes or Home Depot or other big box store that carries plants. Named varieties of Japanese maples will always cost more, but the ones with general "Japanese maple" labels should be less expensive. Some nurseries will also sell them. It's not hard finding a generic JM for $15-25 if you don't want to spend a lot, or you can buy named varieties from on-line nurseries for that much.

Growing JM seeds can be tricky if you don't know how. I haven't done it, but have read about it. Generally you need to keep the seeds cool (like in a refrigerator) for several months, and then sow them in damp soil and wait to see what happens. You never know what you will get. Most of the seeds probably will not germinate, and of those that do, some might be green, others red, etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here