Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much sun?

Posted by djscrapbooks 6 Patriots nation (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 20, 08 at 13:01

A laceleaf Japanese Maple planted last year did not come back this year, I was thinking it probably was getting too much sun, especially the afternoon sun! But, after reading gazillions of posts here, I think it also could have been from the winds over the winter.

I just purchased a "Weeping Japanese Maple", the only other information on the tag says it's an acer palmatum dissectum. Not really giving me enough info as far as which type it is! It's a purple color lace leaf, about 2 feet tall and it says it can get 7- 10 feet tall and wide. I can post a picture if needed. Also, it needs partial shade. My question is, how much sun will this take? I was wondering if 6 hours of morning sun would be too much? Or, if I planted it on the north side of the yard, it will be well protected from winds, and get a few hours of sun in the morning, and then some sun in the afternoon, but not full sun. I want to give this beauty the best chance possible. Any help is appreciated :) Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much sun?

• Posted by picea 6A Cinci- Oh (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 21, 08 at 19:19

It should do fine in either of the locations. Winter sun and wind could be a problem if you are pushing zone hardiness or if it extremely windy, sunny or both. If you think the wind and sun might have been a problem something like Wilt Pruf might help.

David

o
RE: How much sun?

Thank you for the response David! I don't "think" I'm pushing the zone limits as these are readily available at nurseries around here. My thinking was it was the afternoon sun, but I can't say for sure! I think I'm going to put this one on the north side of the yard, right near the woods. There isn't a ton of sun, or wind over there. The Maple that didn't come back was in the front and had a LOT of afternoon sun, but also, we've had several storm door hinges destroyed from the winds coming up the street and driveway, so it might have been the wind over the winter that did it in.
Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here