Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what is attacking our young tree?

Posted by shiylie Ontario (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 13:13

We have a young maple tree not planted by us. It was doing very well in early spring and had happy little leaves starting to form when we left for vacation 2 weeks ago. When we got back we noticed there are spots on the leaves and they're very droopy compared to other maples on the street. There don't appear to be spider mites (did the paper test) but there are some small black bugs under a handful of the leaves. Most leaves have no signs of pests. I did notice an opening in the bark halfway up the trunk and a rather large a split at the base of the trunk. I'm not sure exactly what is attacking our tree, a pest or a disease, so any help would be appreciated. I have attached pictures which will hopefully help. I can take more if necessary.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is attacking our young tree?

Here is another photo of the leaves.

o

And a picture of the opening in the trunk...

o

Finally, a picture of the split in the trunk.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We really want our tree to be healthy. Thanks in advance!

o

Not sure about the leaves but the trunk looks like mechanical damage - like it was hit by a car. That higher wound is old and is already healing over - just cut away that piece of loose bark and leave it alone. The wound at the base looks more serious. It probably happened at the same time. I would dig down and cut that whole loose piece out. The tree looks like it was planted too deep. I would peel back some of that mulch.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 15:59

I would remove the tree and plant a different one. The tree is destined to fail mechanically (blow over at some point in the future); and if all that powdery looking material at the base of the tree is frass, insects are already helping the tree progress to its inevitable demise.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here