Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question on Sunset Maple

Posted by gpeck (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 14, 07 at 13:22

I have a sunset maple tree that I have had for about 9 years now. I live in Idaho and the tree has been doing wonderful until this year. What is happening is that 60% of the branches have no leaves and I think they are dead. None of the top branches have any leaves at all. I have been giving the tree plenty of water and I put on some save a tree that the green house gave me. Last year each branch grew about 2-3 feet. I am not sure what happened to it. We did not have a lot of snow cover this year and temperatures fluctuated quit a bit. Our lowest was about -5 for a one week period.

If I look really close at the bark, it looks like I can see some little cracks. Not sure if this is normal or not.

Any suggestions? Leave the branches with no leaves on them until next year?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question on Sunset Maple

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 14, 07 at 16:26

Probably you have a Red Sunset = 'Franksred' red maple. Maples are prone to dieback diseases, sounds like yours has picked one up. Try Idaho Cooperative Extension, see if they can assist you with diagnosis.

o

Found out that the tree has Verticillium bacteria. From what I am reading the survival rates for trees is not that great for trees that get this.

o

Verticillium is normally considered lethal. There are lists on the net for ornamental trees not bothered by it or are very resistent

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here