Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
yellow japanese maple

Posted by yemag ca (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 7, 07 at 13:46

I'm a maple newbie trying to get a yellow maple for my wife's b-day. She says that there is a japanese maple whose leaves are always yellow (golden?). I've looked for a couple of days, but I can't find any maples that meet that description. Anyone know? Thanks

-Yemag

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: yellow japanese maple

She may be referring Acer Shirasawanum Aureum, also known as Golden Full Moon Maple. It is a gorgeous tree. It is prone to leaf burn though, and tends to be rather finicky. It needs a shady spot.

There is a new cultivar which is similar called Moonrise available from http://www.metromaples.com , but this is the first year, and I'd wait for some more reviews.

Warren

Here is a link that might be useful: A few pictures

o
RE: yellow japanese maple

WW is correct I don't think that plant is for a newbe ...there are many goldish green JM's but most arn't redily available Although you being in CA....and they aren't totally golden BUT you may find one. My suggestion is to stick with a cultivar that is locally available and works in your area ..CA is a big state and we have no idea what part you are in.you may be in a JM primo area with lots of resources or not. To start out with a finiky plant is not a good idea stick with something easy to grow and then as you get more experienced you may want to give your wife a more finicky tree "a couple of B'days down the road. Us JM addicts do not want to see you OD on your first JM. David

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here