Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maple Seedling-Will this be an issue for grafts-Pics

Posted by keithaxis z4 Wash State (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 28, 07 at 13:50

Does anyone have this issue with seedlings that have been grown close together? Will this cause problems with grafting? The blackened wood and dead area's on stem.The last picture shows it the best.
Thanks,
Keith in Buckley,WA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maple Seedling-Will this be an issue for grafts-Pics

I haven't had this from growing too close together, but I have seen it for being in a shady damp spot which is more or less the same thing. Most of what I see probably will cause some problems. I would get those guys spread out and maybe put a little fungicide in there to prevent it from getting worse.

o

That' a Maple fungus (little red dots) and not healthy so it's a no-go. Grafting requires a healthy understock and healthy scionwood. The darker areas are plants that will die at some point.

Dax

o

Looks like two problems to me. The first one's are the blackened stem at the soil line...winter injury (that area of the stem is first to wake up,last to go to sleep...rule of thumb). The second is blackening on stem at the nodes....Psuedomonas syringae or the Black Death :-)).
This is a bacteria, so fungicides wont help. Make sure your fert. is not running to late into the fall and dry them down in the fall ("dry down" is restricting water slightly and slowly to induce stress and it helps force the plants growth to harden up)

o

Is there a cure for Psuedomonas syringae? I believe I have this on a Waterfall Maple.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

Some pesticides are labeled for Psuedomonas, but not many. Of those on the market, virtually all are topical only...they will effect the bacteria on the out-side of the plant, none that has gotten into the plant.Look into "systemic copper", there is one on the market that commercial growers use, not sure if you will have access to it.
Prune out what you can and "grow" the plants to be resistant (note fertilizer & water referance above), it can make a big differance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here