Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vicster_gw

shaina or shindesojo/mendocino maples or mountain maples?

vicster
15 years ago

DH has given the green light for another maple. I've narrowed it down to Shaina or Shindesojo. It will be planted about 3-4 feet from the house, which is a light yellow color. Spot gets morning sun and afternoon shade. There's an Ayogai and Seiryu nearby and we also have Red Dragon, Inabe Shidare, Coral Bark and Butterfly elsewhere. Would you go with Shaina or Shindesojo and why?

What are people's experiences with Mendocino Maples? Their maples are much less expensive than Mountain Maples but are their grafts and trees as nice? Mendocino won't ship anything larger than 2/3 year trees though they have 5 gallon trees that are 3-4 feet tall (we'd have to go get it ourselves, which is possible because we live in the SF Bay Area) that are much less expensive than Mountain Maples trees (5' x 3.5' are $180!). Mountain Maples used to deliver the bigger trees but not sure that they do anymore... I've asked and waiting for a reply. We've bought from Mountain Maples before but wondering if we should try Mendocino this time.

Appreciate your thoughts on both questions. Thanks.

Comments (3)

• herman_neutics
    15 years ago

I've received very nice plants from Mendocino and great ones from MM.

Impossible to choose between those trees, both gems.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Shin deshojo'

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    15 years ago

Hey Vicster, I think thats a no brainer. Why purchase sight unseen, when you could drive to Mendocino and actually pick out the very one you will be growing? Instead of having a nursery employee just snatching up whatever is close by. Theres nothing wrong with Mendocinos trees. Also, once you get to see all your choices it may help you decide witch one takes the ride home. We are growing a couple 'shin deshojos', one in a container and one in the ground and their spring color is beautiful.Im sure 'shaina'has nice features as well! good luck AL

• dawgie
    15 years ago

I've got both of these varieties, and I like Shindesojo best. It's one of my favorite maples of all due to its varying appearance -- bright red in spring, turning to orange-red, green in summer, and then red again in fall. It has beautiful horizontal branching giving it layered form. Shaina has brilliant, deep red leaves all summer if grown in a sunny location. But its form is much stiffer, upright and more formal than Shindesojo. Both varieties can tolerate quite a bit of sun, in my experience.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH