Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The lesser evil...winter wind or winter sun

Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 10, 11 at 14:12

I plan to plant a 'Fireglow' and I can't avoid both winter wind and winter sun.

If I had a choice which evil should I avoid?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The lesser evil...winter wind or winter sun

Everyone who guided me when I bought my fireglow in zone 5a STRONGLY cautioned against the nw winter winds.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 10, 11 at 16:56

Dang it, someone snatched up that 'Fireglow' I was going to get. Looks like I have to wait another year!

I was leaning towards the location that was protected a bit from the winds but would get winter south sun.

o

Sun is easier to protect against - using a tree wrap or similar product can insulate sufficiently so that the freeze/thaw cycle that can split and damage bark is prevented. Much harder to ward off winter winds, unless sited in a location that is sheltered by evergreens or some other winter-present buffer.

Is the Fireglow only available at one location? This is such a popular little maple, it seems like most nurseries would carry it, if they carry JM's at all.

o

• Posted by chohio 5-6 Dayton Ohio (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 11, 11 at 17:59

I can only speak to one year here but I planted mine last year towards end of May and was concerned with the drought last summer but it came back this year and looks beautiful. I am technically considered zone 6 but on GW am zone 5 still, either way I border zone 5. Mine's in full sun and wind. I have big trees 50 feet North but they don't provide much in the way of shelter from wind since they are leafless in winter. I had read that they are one of the better ones for full sun. Since I really wanted one I decided to chance it.
Cher

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 11, 11 at 21:00

gg, it fairly frustrating at how limited plants are around here. This is the first year I've seen 'Fireglow' and there was only one at a Menards of all places.

Out of frustration I still planted a JM, lol. I planned to put one here anyway just not this year.

Acer dissectum 'Red Dragon'
Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here