Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenhavenrdgarden

Acer Psuedoplatanus North Wind

greenhavenrdgarden
10 years ago

I caught the maple bug last summer after finding a Ryusen...oh boy am I hooked!
I just bought my 50th maple this week. Normally I know/research the tree before I buy it but I couldn't resist the colors of the North Wind as it changed from Spring (reddish orange) to Summer (Green) color. It literally was glowing orange.
Despite googling and referring to my Maple Book I can't find much info on this tree. Does anyone know anything about it? I bought a 7gallon tree and need/want to plant it out in the garden with my other trees but I'm not sure where would be best. Any suggestions?

Comments (9)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

You might find more info if looking under a better name :-) This is not a sycamore maple (pseudoplatanus) but a rather unique hybrid between the Korean maple (psuedosieboldianum) and Acer palmatum (typically just listed as Acer 'North Wind' - no species designation).

More cold hardy than the standard JM (zone 3 possibly), it should get to a similar size and appearance with the larger growing types of JM's. 15-20'x15-20'.

Any place in your garden your JM's are happy the North Wind will be happy too.

• greenhavenrdgarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you! The nursery tag had the wrong name. I looked at the growers tag and you are right, it is a cross. It says so in the descripton on the tag. I was wondering why this tree that looks so much like a palmatum was being called something else. It's beautiful regardless. It's glowing right now. I'm off to google again :)

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

I have one and its still a reddish green. A nice tree for sure.

Odds are its not hardy to zone 3 or 4 because it would likely be grafted to A. palmatum.

• greenhavenrdgarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm in zone 6 on the a/b line so I should be fine. I ended up putting it in a more exposed area than I have put my other trees. I figured this would be the tree that could handle it and I'm running out of spots. It's still mostly orange/red right now. It's planted near my Sunjoy Tangelo Barberries (a beautiful color barberry). The leaves are mimicking the orange and green in the barberry. Most of my trees have lost their spring color already. Hopefully this tree will last this long every year :)
    Thanks again!

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Nevertheless the comment about the rootstock could still be relevant, as USDA 6 is on the edge for many kinds of Japanese maples.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

In zone 6, I doubt there is ANY hardiness concern with this tree :-)

This tree is bred to be a hardy Japanese maple-lookalike alternative for a cold climate. Both the Wisconsin chapter of the ISA and the Minnesota Nursery and Landscape Association endorse the hardiness of this tree to zone 4.

Grafting could go both ways - there's nothing to say this is not grafted onto sieboldianum rootstock just as easily as it could be grafted onto palmatum rootstock. And as this tree was hybridized to be very cold hardy, seems entirely plausible:-) At any rate, even species Acer palmatum root stock is recognized to be hardy to at least -20F (zone 5), so there seems to little issue with it in zone 6.

• prairiefarm68
    8 years ago

The acer x pseudosieboldianum is part of the Jack Frost collection from Iseli Introduction. It has been tested in zone 4 and is listed as such. In Iowa test it withstood -30deg.F. Iseli Nursery in Oregon has it.

• greenhavenrdgarden
    Original Author
    8 years ago

This tree died on me less than a month after planting it. I now have more than 150 maples and this is the only one that I ever lost right after planting :(

It was so pretty while it lasted but it never turned to its summer color. It just died.

• magpiepix 5b/6a
    8 years ago

That's too bad-- I have one, my friend has one, and they're both doing marvelously. My sister also has the Arctic Jade growing well in zone 4. In my experience they're very tough, very no-fuss trees. We've had two absolutely frigid, below-average winters and they haven't even experienced a dead branch tip. I wonder if your loss was a fluke, or perhaps it was sick from something picked up at the nursery?

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio