Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Acer Psuedoplatanus North Wind

Posted by GreenHavenGarden none (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 14:40

I caught the maple bug last summer after finding a Ryusen...oh boy am I hooked!
I just bought my 50th maple this week. Normally I know/research the tree before I buy it but I couldn't resist the colors of the North Wind as it changed from Spring (reddish orange) to Summer (Green) color. It literally was glowing orange.
Despite googling and referring to my Maple Book I can't find much info on this tree. Does anyone know anything about it? I bought a 7gallon tree and need/want to plant it out in the garden with my other trees but I'm not sure where would be best. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Acer Psuedoplatanus North Wind

You might find more info if looking under a better name :-) This is not a sycamore maple (pseudoplatanus) but a rather unique hybrid between the Korean maple (psuedosieboldianum) and Acer palmatum (typically just listed as Acer 'North Wind' - no species designation).

More cold hardy than the standard JM (zone 3 possibly), it should get to a similar size and appearance with the larger growing types of JM's. 15-20'x15-20'.

Any place in your garden your JM's are happy the North Wind will be happy too.

o

Thank you! The nursery tag had the wrong name. I looked at the growers tag and you are right, it is a cross. It says so in the descripton on the tag. I was wondering why this tree that looks so much like a palmatum was being called something else. It's beautiful regardless. It's glowing right now. I'm off to google again :)

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 23:03

I have one and its still a reddish green. A nice tree for sure.

Odds are its not hardy to zone 3 or 4 because it would likely be grafted to A. palmatum.

o

I'm in zone 6 on the a/b line so I should be fine. I ended up putting it in a more exposed area than I have put my other trees. I figured this would be the tree that could handle it and I'm running out of spots. It's still mostly orange/red right now. It's planted near my Sunjoy Tangelo Barberries (a beautiful color barberry). The leaves are mimicking the orange and green in the barberry. Most of my trees have lost their spring color already. Hopefully this tree will last this long every year :)
Thanks again!

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 16:22

Nevertheless the comment about the rootstock could still be relevant, as USDA 6 is on the edge for many kinds of Japanese maples.

o

In zone 6, I doubt there is ANY hardiness concern with this tree :-)

This tree is bred to be a hardy Japanese maple-lookalike alternative for a cold climate. Both the Wisconsin chapter of the ISA and the Minnesota Nursery and Landscape Association endorse the hardiness of this tree to zone 4.

Grafting could go both ways - there's nothing to say this is not grafted onto sieboldianum rootstock just as easily as it could be grafted onto palmatum rootstock. And as this tree was hybridized to be very cold hardy, seems entirely plausible:-) At any rate, even species Acer palmatum root stock is recognized to be hardy to at least -20F (zone 5), so there seems to little issue with it in zone 6.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here