Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cubbyboy

Bihou Japanese Maple Question.

cubbyboy
10 years ago

Hey all -
I want to add another Japanese Maple to my collection and I was thinking of adding Bihou. It would get full morning and afternoon sun with a break in late afternoon. I plan on planting this tree about 6 feet away from a back family room bay window. I heard this tree is simiar to Sango Kaku (which I have planted in a similar location and it is doing great). I also read this tree will get about 8-10' high and stay pretty upright. I am just curious if others have planted this tree and how it does in the sun and what you think about it. Thanks all.

Side note- I currently have:
Bloodgood
Sango Kaku
Red Dragon
Butterfly
Tiger Rose

Comments (6)

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Prone to winter tip die-back here. Maybe in your hotter summer climate this would not happen.

• cubbyboy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm actually torn between the Bihou and the Summer Gold. I want something with yellow in the summer which is why I like the Summer gold. However, I like the yellow bark of the Bihou because I plan on contrasting it with the Sango. I'm not sure I want the green leaves of the Bihou for the summer though. Stumped !

• arktrees
    10 years ago

Bihou is beautiful IMHO. I will NOT have another one.Long story short, hated our winters. Had lots of dieback even with the mild winter of 2011-2012 and protected. Put it out last winter, and it went to crap. Did great in last summer's heat in full sun (many many many days of 100+), but winter is the enemy for this selection. Shame took. An Acontifolium too it's place.

Arktrees

This post was edited by arktrees on Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 23:57

• the_morden_man
    10 years ago

Have you considered Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum' as another potential option. It is incredibly beautiful.

• cubbyboy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all. I actually ended up buying a few more. I am going to try the Bihou in a spot near our kitchen window. Hoping for the best. It's only a 3 year tree so will see what happens. The cost was not great, so if I lose it won't be a big monetary loss. I also bought a few more to add some color. Orangelo, Aureum, and Twombleys Red. The Aureum is in a great spot and I am really looking forward to seeing what this tree does. My only concern is that the Aureum will get a pretty significant amount of sun. So...I am going to monitor it and might eventually move it if the sun is to much. Will see...

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

I will tell you right off the bat that 'Aureum' will not be happy in much sun. Especially afternoon sun. The leaves will scorch very easily. This is a selection that thrives in a shady location - in fact, that bright golden color ideally enlivens a shady location.

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider