Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stevemy

Say it Ain't So.

stevemy
16 years ago

So, I have been waiting, and waiting, for my four JM to leaf out after the horrible early spring/late freeze combo here in TN.

They have shown no signs of new growth and when the trunk is peeled it shows no green at all. I'm am going to move these guys from the ground,but is there anything I can do with them to get growth from their root stock or is it all over for my nice JMs?

Comments (4)

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

You are very patient....if it hasn't done any leafing by now it is toast. If it is a grafted tree any growth from the root stock would not be the same tree anyway just a generic green or red JM ... If it is a seedling non grafted tree it could be reanimated with rootstock growth...but as I said it should have shown life by now actually it should have shown some life by late April thus my "patient" comment. I have several that Kaputted and all had rootstock growth in just a few weeks after the freeze. I plan on maybe keeping a few for seed trees and throwing the rest in the burn pile this fall.very few if any were totally killed RS and tree ...you must have indeed hit hard...unless they were newly planted...David

• stevemy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Trust me, I've been trying to be positive but I knew they were gone in late April. The problem for me was all 4 were in their full spring beauty when the week of frost hit, totally leafed out and looking great. Then, whack hard freeze 4 straight nights.

The worst part is to replace these guys seems like it's gonna cost a pretty penny. Any suggestion on a JM clearance store?

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

You can replace at any time but I think it is a bit too late now unless you keep them containerized the stress of planting out would not be good in this heat. Fall planting is suppose to be best for all trees but I am not sold on it for JM's ...it's nice to get them established a bit before the winter hits and they often don't harden well unless totally dormant and many are grown out west and even though they look dormsant and you are told they are dormant they ARN'T in my experience and you will have winter die back ...The best all around time is early spring for dormant bare root and later spring for container or partial bare root ( taken out of containers for shipping)... Email me personally at the aboove and include what sizes and types of Jm's you are lookin for and I will suggest some places ...Its also a bit late for sales as well..you might check Lowes and local nurseries for sales...but unless you are lookin for really big stuff I think E-tailers are the way to go...Just drop me an email with what you are lookin for and I will try to help ... David

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

To clarify something about my statement on spring planting itn has more to do with dormancy than other factors.. if it is not leafed out or breaking bud or highly swelled buds early spring delivery march early april in your area although this is sometimes bare root not always ...otherwise later spring in your area I'd say like me, mid to late april for highly budded pre-leafed or partially to fully leafed trees and up to maybe the end of may. Basically what you don't want is the tree to be leafed out before the last killing frost as you have sadly learned ...Now keep in mind most "experts" feel this pat disaster was a once in 50 year happening so I wouldn't base all further decisions on this past spring debacle but it should give some pause to be careful .If you buy from an etailer in late winter or spring it is always best to enquire as to how far along the tree(s) you want are...if they are unwilling to give you that info tell them to forget it.If you are uncertain it is always best to get them a bit later but before it gets this hot ;>)david