Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve_pc

Chances of survival?

steve_pc
10 years ago

I have been given a Japanese Maple that is well established but right next to a house inside a deck. The deck is being replaced due to storm damage and the owners have been told the contractors cannot/will not be able to leave it in situ.

The temps at the moment in SW Kansas are in the high 90's low 100's.

If I can get it out I can have it. My main concern is what are the chances of it surviving the transfer, or am I better off taking cuttings galore and trusting that the cuttings will survive in the heat?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Comments (4)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Any chance of a pic of both the tree and how much digging room you have inside that deck? If no pic, just how big is that "well established" tree?

tj

• mmajicmann
    10 years ago

before you answer that... i think you have nothing to lose by attempting to rescue the tree intact....and much to gain....extricate carefully...lotsa water! let us know :)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

I agree. Nothing lost by attempting to move if the plant can't remain in place anyway.

Prepare new planting site before you do any digging. Take as large a rootball as humanly possible. If possible, do it late in the day (or on a cool, overcast day) and get it replanted ASAP. And of course, water, water, water!!

• dwpc
    10 years ago

A mature JM is a valuable tree; it may be worth hiring a backhoe to move it with supervision by a trained arborist. Call a local commercial nursery for advise.

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996