Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it Dying?

Posted by mikeinmo Z6 MO (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 16, 07 at 15:29

I planted this Oshio Beni Maple two weeks ago and the leaves on the top are dying. Could it just be shock from transplanting it? The leaves on the bottom look good.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it Dying?

Been there done that..planted out Jm cultivar without getting it graduallty acclimated to sun ...sometimes it's hard when they come bare root or partial bare root ...really the best way is repot it and get it use to sun gradually before planting out ...Even with my experience i have had it happen this spring... the early stuff was fine cause it was outside before I got it the lter stuff is always under shade cloth by now ..I knew this but just forgot (DUH) ..your plant will be ok... after leaves are totally dry pull off only those ... it should releaf although maybe not til it cools ltr this summer. You made a very common mistake nothing to feel bad about ...David

o
RE: Is it Dying? and

I might add this could also be cause some growers and distributors spray the trees with captain fungicide because of the prevelance of fungus diseases this time of year. Captain will wilt many types of leaves if the temps are above i believe 80 degrees ...it is a good fungicide but that is a real drawback ..I am not saying this was the cause or sun alone ...the above stays true either way. David

o
RE: Is it Dying?

Thanks David. I did keep the pot in the sun a few days before I planted it in the ground. It gets full sun until about 5 in the afternoon, then shade. This is my first attempt with a Japanese Maple. With what they cost, I don't want it dying on me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here