Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Katsura Orange JM

Posted by staceybeth 6-7 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 9, 07 at 15:56

Hi All,

I just recieved a Katsura baby. Its about 20-24 inches high., however its growing "out".. meaning its kinda wide for a baby. (wishbone like)

How can I train it to grow upwards.. can i tie a string around the middle to bring the two branches a bit closer? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
training a katsura orange jm

Hi All,
I just recieved a Katsura baby. Its about 20-24 inches high., however its growing "out".. meaning its kinda wide for a baby. (wishbone like)

How can I train it to grow upwards.. can i tie a string around the middle to bring the two branches a bit closer? Thanks.

o
RE: Katsura Orange JM

You could do that...but I think using stakes would be better. You may find (like I have with my 'katsura') that it will start to grow rather vigorous and upright. I also find that the most beautiful older japanese maples have wishbone like branching near the base. That's just my opinion though.

o

What size stakes.. and what do I use to tie the branches to the stakes?

I am going to Home Depot today so I need to know soon... thanks.

o

If the branches are really soft still, you may want to wait a year before staking it. I found that staking soft thin branches doesn't do much, and it keeps it from hardening as quickly. If it's long new shoots, give it a year, and it may surprise you. If it's still not to your liking on the new shoots, then stake.

If you're referring to slightly older branches, stake away! Or you could try bonsai training wire, which I haven't tried yet.

Warren

o

Thanks for the advise. I did have two thin coated wire stakes that I put in the pot about one inch from the endge of the pot on both side of the tree then took some gardening "training wire" which is a soft plastic coated wire and very loosely just attached each side of the tree to those stakes... just to keep in upright and somewhat center of the pot. The last thing I want to do is hurt this little baby. Do you thing this will harm it or not do anything for it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here