Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grafting sugar maples

Posted by tcharles26 usa texas (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 28, 07 at 16:13

I have a large big tooth maple (a. grandidentatum) , which is sometimes listed as a subspecies of sugar maple (a. sacchrum ssp. grandidentatum). It's a great tree for this part of the country. The standard sugar maple is not. I do not think there are any cultivated forms of the big tooth subspecies however.

Since it is purportedly a sugar maple I think I should be able to graft sugar maple scions onto big tooth understock. Has anyone heard of this or tried it? Am I correct in thinking it would make sugar maple clones more suitable for this region?

I like the 'apollo' variety of sugar maple. dwarf tree with huge full sized leaves. thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grafting sugar maples

If the root system is the problem with standard Acer saccharum in your part of the country then and only then would grafting be advantageous.

I know Acer truncatum is the one down there. Call your local extention and ask if I haven't already answered your question, or, find out the closest lineage, or find out how Sugar Maple is normally propagated and go from there. My guess is that it is propagated as a rooted cutting which in that case, you are working with an impossibility.

I just don't know Maples well enough. Acer truncatum I do know off hand is compatible with Acer platanoides which doesn't mean junk. Acer saccharum grows fantastically here in our very humid and high temperature summers. I can't remember at the moment if your summers are humid or whether arid. Well, I've said all I can.

Dax

o
RE: Grafting sugar maples continued

Todd,

Be sure if you find compatibility (Acer rubrum was tested and the grafts eventually outgrow and various problems arise) ...that the growth rate is similar as well.

Dax

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here