Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese Maple

Posted by elpenn VA (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 10, 07 at 16:31

It was suggested to me to plant a Japanese Maple in an area 8 X 10 with direct afternoon sun. I know nothing about these trees. Is this area big enough without it overtaking the area in the future? I don't want to have to move it later, but want something in this area that is low maintenance. It is right beside my recreation room windows. I am replacing some very ugle ground cover!

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese Maple

The direct afternoon sun would be the only thing I would worry about. Some varieties can tolerate the full sun but many can show some leaf burn in the heat of summer. I live in S. Car. and I have seen many trees in full sun all day that seem to do fine but with a little scorching on the leaves.

There are dozens of japanese maple cultivars that never get above 5 ft tall and wide. There are also hundreds of cultivars that get over 20 ft high over 10 ft wide so you must choose your variety carefully. There are just to many varieties (around 1000) to give you a definite answer on what to get. It would be better to find out what is available in your area, then narrow down the choices with a little research.

o
RE: Japanese Maple

Hi elpenn. If you can, try to make it out to Eastwoods Nursery in Washington, VA. Most of their in ground maples get full sun all day long on a mountain with little or no sunburn. Only the more delicate varieties get sunburned after getting established in northern VA.

I agree with Matt's advice. Pick how tall of a tree you would like first. Did you want a weeping Japanese maple or an upright? Check out Eastwoods' homepage since they're at least in the same state.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eastwoods Nursery

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here