Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sadon_gw

Dying new Shauting Maple

sadon
16 years ago

I have a brand new shauting maple. Just planted it in my small-medium backyard about 2-3 months ago (April-May). It was doing GREAT, we had a huge storm blow through, and rain for at least a month straight. Now almost all the leaves top to mid tree have fallen off, the rest of them are dying. The tree trunk look fine. Could this be due to an insect infestation (havent seen anything abnormal)but I do have a ton of weird long black worm like bodies with a split end (cant tell head from back), doodle bugs, and some ants(not bad) crawling all over my backyard and outside of house. (normal stuff). What can I do? Please help me try and save my new little maple tree.

Thanks

Comments (5)

• lou_spicewood_tx
    16 years ago

May I ask you where you got this shantung maple from? I'm asking this is because Lowe's are selling fake ones so I'm hoping you aren't one of the victims that bought fake shantung maples!

Another question is - how are you watering it? Have you made sure you didnt plant it too deep? Did you amend soil before backfilling in the hole? Did you use anything else?

• lou_spicewood_tx
    16 years ago

What kind of dirt do you have at your house? Is it purely gumbo? Shantung maples don't do well in water logged area at all so you would have to make sure that the ground is graded away so the water will drain away instead of pooling in one spot.

I have 5 shantung maples - 4 from Metro Maples - first commerical shantung maple grower in DFW; it has largest ones in the metroplex, i think. The other one is from Lowe's last year but I got lucky though that it's not a fake ones like they are selling this year.

• gsblake
    16 years ago

Given the amount of rain we've had in the past month I too wonder if the tree is planted in a spot that collected a lot of water and/or didn't drain well. I'm not sure if you'll be able to save the tree at this point. But the rain will stop soon (it may have already) and the tree will love the hot, sunny weather. See if it recovers a little. Don't try to dig it up while it's in such a weakened state, the additional stress may finish it off. If the tree does show signs of life with the return of the hot, dry weather you then can re-evaluate the soil, drainage, depth, etc.

If you did buy the tree from a big box store you should be able to return it for a refund since it's only been 2-3 months. Metro Maples is an excellent source for maples in DFW. I've bought at least seven from them.

Lou - I recognize your handle form the DD forum. Nice to cross paths a fellow Texan maple lover.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    16 years ago

hello gsblake...

Hopefully Sadon will come back and read this thread.

I'm furious that Lowe's would deliberately sell fake shantung maples even though Ron from Metro Maples told a manager at Lowe's in Mansfield that they were fakes and the manager basically shrugged it off and continued to sell them anyway. Keith put up a picture of mine on Metro Maples website showing the difference between shantung maple leaves and the fake ones from Lowe's to warn other people...

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

Managers at big box stores have little latitude on what they can or can't do and making waves is not always the best way to keep your job ...If you want to make a stink, and you should, contact the CEO directly ( google up his email) or his office and complain link him the Metro maple link...the ladder is always there BUT you must climb it to get results. I would do it but I don't know a Shantung maple from a peanut ;>)Most folks really don't know how to deal with this stuff and give up after starting at the bottom of the ladder...It is likely those that make purchasing decisions and those in the front office have no idea there is a problem!! David

Sponsored
King Construction Company LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Loudoun County, VA Custom Builder for Equestrian Facilities