Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter dieback on weeping ryusen...advice needed

Posted by cadillactaste zone 5 Ohio (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 17:12

We replaced our weeping ryusen. I had assumed it was dead above the graft and the new growth was some other maple. But upon close inspection...I believe the area where the dead and live met on the trunk was just that. Where I had originally thought it the graft. Brought home a healthy weeping ryusen to replace it in the yard...to notice it has similar leaves...which made me look closer to notice the graft is actually close to the soil...not where I had thought.

Now I contemplate what to do with this thing. Do I chop the dead off...and stake the branches and allow it to grow taller? Or...let it be staked to the dead trunk? Or...chop the dead off and just allow it to become ground cover.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter dieback on weeping ryusen...advice needed

Here you can see the graft at the soil...

o
RE: Winter dieback on weeping ryusen...advice needed

Assuming chopping and using cut paste would be best route...even if I just let this sprawl across the lawn as ground cover.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here