Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stake baby JM's?

Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 16, 07 at 18:17

When I repot my new JM's, should I stake them?

They came to me with finger-thick single bamboo stakes, in 3-quart pots. They are 6 high-graft dissectums and 3 low-graft 'Bloodgoods.'

I was thinking of pencil-thick bamboo tripods, for a while at least. I'm in a fairly windy location, and they can't be completely protected from it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stake baby JM's?

I think the tri pods are not necessary but if it makes you feel better go fot it ...a finger thick stake seems good to me unless you are ..how should I say extreemly small fingered..just make sure the area above and below the graft is attached to the stake especially the top and use a mateial like a flexible tape like it likely now is being used to attach it..plastic bread tistees are ok but be sure to check and change them every few months to make sure they are not cutting in..a flexible material is better but I have used them with no problem .david

o
RE: Stake baby JM's?

Hi there, I use "garden training wire" for my Katsura. Its made for staking and is coated with a soft plastic.

Here is a link that might be useful: Staked using garden training wire

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here