Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newlife2_gw

Japanese maple Inabe...

newlife2
16 years ago

I have a japanese maple that was hit with the frost in the spring. It looks like all the top branches are dead but the tree is alive about 1/2 way down on the main stumb. Is it possible to cut it to the green area and have it come back to life from there? Should I just consider it dead or is there anything that I can do?

Comments (4)

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

As Has been said if rhe tree is alive above the graft it is still an Inaba otherwise it ias a generic green ( or red) Acer palmatum I assume when you say green area you mean the green rootstock it likely was grafted on to as above green A.P since the Inaba trunk is not green I don't think... If you want a root stock tree leave it and see what happens otherwise deep six it ..David

• conifers
    16 years ago

Chop it back. What have you got to lose?? Buds are not seen below the bark, but they are there, and will come alive if the tree wishes to do so, ...so to speak.

Dax

• newlife2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have no clue about grafted trees. I think it is grafted but I never thought about it until you mentioned it David and yes, I think the bottom part is ok and the grafted part is dead. Now why are they grafted? I did see a little red leaf coming up from the bottom (suckering) so maybe it is possible that is is a red acer palmatum. I will have to look that up. Is that also a japanese maple? Do I continue to protect it in the winter if I chop it back and it comes back to life? I do appreciate the help.

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

Sometimes the leaves of a green A.p. have are red when really small or have a reddish tint ..if the bark of the "live part is green it is not a red A.p.it would be red if it were... It is always possible it is a rooted or otherwise non grafted cultivar but highly unlikely and it wouldn't have a green main stem...easy way to tell is if the leaf coming up is similar to the Inaba shidare..I would expect it isn't ...Many of my freeze killed ones are coming up from the bottom or from the root stock "stalk" at least the ones i haven't pitched in the burn pit ...some leafed out and looked like they were gonna make it but after a month or two dried up from severe bark damage (I think all that are gonna die now have Kaputted at least directly from this spring debacle some may not make iit through the winter from stress related injury)...but the hardy rootstock was often ok and those that had damage on the RS ( some did especially high grafted dissectums) came up like yours from the roots...I might keep a couple for green A.p. seeds otherwise i will replace with named cultivars..David