Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there a J. maple that can be maintained at 5-6 feet?

Posted by acer 6b western NC (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 9, 10 at 19:28

When I say maintained at that height, I mean attractively. Of course I like open structure, not what I call broccoli or lollipop trees. I like green or red, but I'm not a huge fan of dark purple.
As you can see I'm pretty new here.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there a J. maple that can be maintained at 5-6 feet?

container or in the ground?

container would be easier b/c you can treat it like a large bonsai.

in the ground, they're eventually going to get big. severe pruning to keep it 6' would most likely make it look ugly.

o

Unless of course it is a low grafted weeping variety, like many of the dissectums - these never tend to grow very high due to their weeping habit. But they can grow quite wide. There are some true dwarfs as well but you should be aware that in time, even many of the true dwarf selections can exceed published size guidelines.

I'd not like to consider pruning a JM to maintain shorter than natural height. The result is not something that is typically very attractive and it can impact the health of the tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: dwarf JM cultivars

o

Another Link

http://mendocinomaples.com/index.php?crn=211&start=1

o

Hmm, linkey thing didn't work. Copy and paste.

Another, my favorite

http://mendocinomaples.com/index.php?crn=199&rn=449&action=show_detail

Here is a link that might be useful: Kamagata

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here