Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
basic_gw

A. palmatum 'Red Select'

basic
16 years ago

I have absolutely no experience with Japanese Maples, but if you're a tree lover they're sort of the holy grail. Its difficult if not impossible to grow one in the ground where I live, but I've been thinking about trying one in a container and wintering it in the garage. I've got a tractor with a loader, so moving it wouldn't be much of a problem as it attained size. I was snooping around Menard's this week and noticed they had a single 'Red Select' in stock. Its maybe 2'-2.5' feet tall and they're asking $60. First, is this a reasonable price for this cultivar and size? Second, would this one be a good container prospect? Finally, anyone have experience or opinions on this one they'd like to share?

In the van Gelderen's Maples for Gardens its described as follows: "A well-growing, mushroom-shaped plant up to 2m and 3-4m wide. Leaves finely dissected, dark purple, turning greenish purple later but losing color in summer; fall color dark red speckled with crimson. It is similar to 'Crimson Queen' and 'Dissectum Nigrum'.

Bob

Comments (5)

• mattlwfowler
    16 years ago

Yes ,this would be a great container plant. It's hard to tell what a good price for that type of cultivar is. If it has a canopy that is a couple of feet wide with that height, I would say it is a good price. If it is just a little stem that goes up to that height, it is not a good deal IMO. At that price I would say the stem should be somewhere around a half inch or more.

As far as experience with JMs in general...make sure you have good drainage in your soil. Usually that is not a problem if you use good potting soil, but some folks forget to get a pot with a hole in the bottom (why they make pots like that I don't know).

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

I agree with Matt if it has a nice full look and a descent breath of canapy it is a good deal..I saw some at lowes about that size that were about 100$ they were pretty full ...menards is fairly new to live plants and only their newer super stores ( which they are converting all their old stores to) have garden centers...I have never looked closely at their plants but they seem well taken care of at the new on here. David

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

FYI....Menards just put all their trees at 25% off today ( Sunday) maybe your store already did but probabably not so taking that off the price even if it is not primo it is still a great deal ..David

• basic
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi David,

I stopped by the store yesterday with the idea of buying it at 25% off. Unfortunately, they've got it in their topiary/patio collection, which are not on sale. It will eventually go on sale, and if still available I'll snatch it up. Not to likely it'll still be around though. BTW, Menards is based here in Eau Claire.

Bob

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

Well thats pretty sneeky huh!!!or the put it more hashly "what a crock !!!!" Not surpriised ..I like Menards better than Lowes or Home Depot...for just about everything but they have been becomming a bit weird lately like moving that tree of yours that IS A TREE to a topiary area which it is NOT currently ...they have also been putting stuff in their ads "too low to advertise" like bricks and blocks plywood...that "ploy" is usually and understandably used to sell name brand stuff below suggested retail...which some manufactures don't allow NOT GENERIC BRICKS and 2x4's.. to top it off the price is almost always the same or just a couple of cents cheaper than everyday price and more than the sale price it use to have or will have shortly.... Oh well some big shots idea to drive biz ..not too smart though most folks are pretty dumb or better put ignorant IMHO but NOT that dumb..David