Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My First Japanese Maple in Colorado

Posted by tjchermack 5 (Colorado) (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 4, 08 at 20:17

I just planted my bloodgood. It's about 7 ft tall. This area gets morning sun, and is then in the shade from about 1 pm to 6 pm, and then the setting sun really brings out the colors.

This has been in the ground only for a few days now. I'm a little concerned about our winter winds, and I will likely build some kind of frame / wind screen to put around it over the winter time until I know if it is liking its space.

The other concern I have is about the soil. I did everything the nursery told me to, but I'm still a little worried about the possibility of the soil not draining well enough and drowning this beautiful tree. Any advice on the signs that the soil is too wet?

I have 2 related questions:
1) From what I have read, some are planting these somewhat above ground. The people at the nursery said not to do this. Any thoughts on this?
2) From the pics here, any suggestions or novice mistakes I have made?

You can check out the pics here:
http://gallery.mac.com/tjchermack#100026

Otherwise, this tree really gives the look I am going for in my garden and I think it is just beautiful! I really hope it works!!
Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My First Japanese Maple in Colorado

I plant my maples in raised beds but in a cold zone such as yours, getting plenty of soil(several feet) horizontally around the tree would be best to make sure soil temp doesn't fluctuate too fast. You really couldn't build a raised bed in that location large enough for that JM.

I have concerns about drainage and root growth on that site. JM's don't grow tap roots, they produce a shallow root system near the first few feet of soil extended near the drip line. When that tree is mature, it would be about 20-25 feet tall and wide, it would struggle in that location I am thinking.

I am sure some other more experienced people can chime in with their opinion. I am fairly new to JM's so I might be a bit off with my assessment. Don't make any changes just yet, lets see what they say. It is a beautiful tree and location.

o
RE: My First Japanese Maple in Colorado

• Posted by picea 6A Cinci- Oh (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 5, 08 at 12:49

I was told By an older maple expert that can gain some cold hardiness by spraying it with something like Wilt-Pruf. I have not seen any varification of this but it couldn't hurt. David

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here