Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problem with Crimson Queen Japanese maple

Posted by shelli563 4/5 ME (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 20:17

I've had this maple for about 10 years. I bought it mature and had it at my prior house that was a zone warmer for about 6 years where it did very well. 4 years ago we successfully transplanted to a new house. It took a year to recover but was looking good the past 2 years. This winter was particularly cold and long. Tree budded mid May, mostly on the very bottom and random spots around the tree. Much of the tree has no leaves. It's heartbreaking to see, but not sure what to do except wait and see. I've posted some pics-- any thoughts or advice on what I can do to help it?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problem with Crimson Queen Japanese maple

Not much you can do except remove the dead portions and wait. If there is not much viable growth left I would not be going in trying to shape it- it needs every leaf it has purely to sustain itself.
After a year or two of looking at it you can decide whether or not it is worth keeping.
I would certainly give it that amount of time, though, seeing as you have a sentimental attachment to it.

o
RE: Problem with Crimson Queen Japanese maple

I have a similar problem... am a newbie gardner so please forgive some of my incorrect comments if any...
My guy told me that the buds form in the fall for the next spring...because we had a harsh winter the buds were damaged and didn't continue the formation (growth) process in the spring.
Recommended solution: wait until weather is warm, test for dead branches (scratch green test) and trim away dead branches...then wait to see if it recovers.
Its a shame to see such a beautiful tree in rough shape but patience and trimming seems to be the answer

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here