Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Splits in Autumn Blaze Maples?

Posted by bixa525 17547 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 13, 10 at 20:43

This past year I have noticed that our two four yr. old Autumn Blaze Maples have a few splits in the base of the trunk. They are not real huge yet but can someone tell me what causes this and is there anything we can do to fix it? The trees are thriving beautifully otherwise so I hope this won't hurt them or cause them to die.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Splits in Autumn Blaze Maples?

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 13, 10 at 22:22

Splits have various causes. Need images, please.

o
RE: Splits in Autumn Blaze Maples?

These autumn blaze maples are notorious for frost cracks and sunscald.
That's probably what it is but a picture can help confirm.
The trees will heal themselves if this is what it is. If there's any loose bark at the edges you may wish to remove anything that is not strongly attached. Other than that, leave it alone. No wound paint or anything like that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here