Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
growitnow

Which Farfard soil mix as a proxy to Pine Bark Fines?

growitnow
10 years ago

Hi,
I asked in a recent thread about planting Autumn Moon in container and have been reading and learning about 5:1:1 and gritty mix. (my post below along with gardengal48's very generous reply and link to one of Al's discussions about soil)

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/maple/msg0507103919878.html?1

I found the information to be VERY helpful and feel I have learned a lot more than when I started. Since that post I have been looking (and looking and looking) for sources of components to the 5:1:1 mix and gritty mix. I found some Turface at John Deer.

But I am having a very tough time finding (pine) bark fines. A local store has a variety of Farfard soil mixes,and I read on some of these soil posts that Farfard #52 or Farfard "Aged Pine Bark" would be a good choice for the 5:1:1 mix which I intend to make first. But I can find neither of these.

What I have available is:
Farfard Professional Potting Mix - All purpose blend
Farfard Complete Potting Mix
Farfard Organic Potting Mix
Farfard Complete Planting Mix

There were no samples to look at but the guy at the store said among those listed, the "Complete Potting Mix" had the highest bark content.

Would any of these serve as a proxy to bark fines of the desired size. I don't feel the need to be a purist and get everything exactly perfect, but I do wish to benefit from the expertise of those with more experience.

Thanks for any help,
growitnow, zone7
(Richmond/Hampton/Norfolk VA area)

Comment (1)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor