Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
maple dead branches, prunning, frost, spring

Posted by mitsys_heart zone 5 mi (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 10, 09 at 21:03

I planted a this maple 2 years ago. Not sure of type. I bought this tree because it said on tag >> in the fall the leaves would be red in color. 1st year covered tree through winter. No problems. 2nd year I believed it was more hearty so, did not cover through winter. This Spring 2009 the tops of all branches were dead and brittle. New foilage has appeared and is healthy. I waited for a month to see if they would come back, which they did not.. In which I pruned each individual branch. MY QUESTION >> This coming 2009 winter should I cover the tree from the elements? It is only approx. 5ft tall or less. Also, was I correct to prune all the dead and brittle branches to the base of the first junction of the tree >> from top and down? I also, had alot of suckers at the base of tree of ground level >> which I prunned them off also. Any input is appreciated

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: maple dead branches, prunning, frost, spring

In my opinion you did everything you should have done. I am facing the same thing with a few of mine. It was a rough winter and spring, some of mine that died back had been in the ground years.

If it's a five foot tree and still looks like a tree after pruning (I have issues with keeping trees that look gross due to whatever:)) you could wrap it or spray with WiltPruf or both. Japanese maples are harder to grow for those of us in zone 5. I usually wrap mine until they are too big to wrap with floating row cover. Hope this helps.
Kay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here