Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hit and Run

Posted by misslucinda 6a (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 08 at 21:30

I had a nursery fellow tell me he could fill the gaps in our screening of the street by underplanting many of the trees (which have lost their lower limbs) with boxwood or purple barberry.

Some of those trees are sugar maples and I am concerned his people would take a pickaxe to their roots in order to plant the shrubs. To complicate matters all these trees sit on a dry stone retaining wall (which does who knows what to the roots).

Could the Sugar maples survive such abuse or is this just another hit and run landscaper? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hit and Run

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 18, 08 at 15:33

No, you don't want to have someone chopping through their roots. Go over the proposal in detail before accepting. Maybe also arrange to be present to observe the work if it is undertaken. Nobody is entitled to damage your trees.

o

Maples are EXTREMELY sensitive to root disturbance. This guy sounds like a quack to me!

K4

o

In addition to the above, large native maples have large, aggressive root systems, effectively hogging any soil moisture and available nutrients away from smaller plants. That dry, rooty and shady condition makes establishing shrubs, and specifically those that aren't particularly very shade or drought tolerant, quite a challenge. He doesn't seem to have a good grasp on the situation - I'd seriously reconsider using his services.

o

Unfortunately, one doesn't only need to be well informed of how to properly do a job, but you have to be there to mjonitor any work done in or around your home these days.

The question is, can you plant any shrub under Sugar Maples? Having planted pachysandra under them I know this is quite a chore.

Thanks for the above responses.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here