Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bending branches to the ground

Posted by benjoe 6/MD (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 16, 09 at 21:33

I was wondering if you bend all the branches down to the ground, what would be the final outcome? I just got some 2 year old seedling Japanese maples and i pegged down the lowest branches to get a very wide tree eventually.

Has anyone ever tried this before, what were your outcomes?

Thanks,
Ben

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bending branches to the ground

It depends on the seedling. You can't really force a naturally upright tree into a weeping form. But there are many low wide cultivars available to buy. It doesn't hurt to experiment though.

o

Well, if you bend them into the ground, they may root ;-). If the tendancy is to grow up, even after hardening a branch off in a weeping/spreading position, the new growth will still want to go up. But, like kjskjs said, go ahead and try it (and show us the pics if you like the results).

tj

o

i realize that it will not turn into a weeping variety, i am just trying to achieve a very wide tree and was wondering f there s anything that need to be careful with, or something i shouldn't do. the branches are laying on the ground, i used a old metal hanger and cut it to make "staples" that i pegged it right down to the ground, i just wish they grew faster so i had more to do. i will try to take pictures tomorrow. I'm not sure if i can get them onto the computer tomorrow too but ll post them soon. thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here