Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
viro_gw

Maple Viridis

viro
15 years ago

Hi all,

Quick question about a 'viridis' that I picked up last year. Grew just fine in a large clay pot last year in a well drained soil and then I brought it into the garage like I do with my other maples in the winter.

By the end of April, my two 'crimson queens' had already started to pop their leaves while the 'viridis' had nothing. I brought them all outdoors at this time and haven't had any problems with the 'crimson queens', growing good.

Anyways, here we are, beginning of June, and my 'viridis' still hasnt' popped a leave. I have plenty of buds showing but they don't seem to be opening.

I know hot weather has been a 'little' late this year, atleast with the night weather out here in Southern Ontario but I'm a little confused as to why it won't sprout off the leaves....does the temperature need to be steadily higher than it has for the leaves to open?

I did some minor triming a few weeks ago and the clippings looked healthy and I don't see any signs of bugs/infestation/fungus etc....

Does it just need more time?

Comments (6)

• mattnova
    15 years ago

Was there any damage to the roots possibly? Freezing or anything else? My Inaba Shidare had a root system that was damaged and it leafed out late. Energy was forced to the root system to compensate but the leaves finally came out about 6-8 weeks after the rest of my trees. I expect next spring it will look much better if it makes it through this winter.

• viro
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm sure it's possible but I'm thinking unlikely. The Viridis is in a larger pot than the Crimsons and they all shared a home in the garage in the winter, where the temp more than likely was above freezing.

If the Viridis froze up, I would almost guarantee the Crimsons did too. I checked up on them like once a month and the soil seemed ok......

• viro
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Anyone with other thoughts?

I continue to keep an eye on it but it's almost like it's not going to do anything. I dug up around the root ball and the roots look ok (no visible rot/fungus)...

The main trunk of the tree looks good but basically all the branches almost look like they are withering up. I'm always carefull about over/underwatering but I can't get a fix on what's going on with it....I soaked it hard the other day and all the excess water drained through like it should and I checked the soil 2 days later and it was lightly moist like I usually leave it.

I trimmed a few branches again to see what they look like and it's almost like they're drying out. Only a little 'green' within the branch.

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    15 years ago

viro, Clay pots are notorious for wicking water away from the medium in the pot, coupling that with your post noting how the water drained through,makes me think that in your garage,with your long winter,and low humidity your soil for that tree probably dried out for periods of time that were unexceptable for its continued survival. Since you added that tree to your already existing collection,maybe your growing medium used was different than your other establised trees,and your watering schedule worked for some but not all? not sure,just sounds like the problem originated in the garage over the winter way before the tree was ever put outside. regards AL

• viro
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey alley cat thanks for the response....

I simply meant to indicate that the water drains through as in if I were to saturate the pot, any excess wouldn't stay in the pot causing it to overwater/get root rot.

The 3 maples I have all basically have the same soil....60 percent sand, about 30 percent top soil and 10 percent peat moss.

The Viridis did fine when I bought it in the August sweltering heat last year....guess I'll just have to visit the nursery. I'm sure winter had something to do with it but I know it's not like it froze or anything.

• kaydye
    15 years ago

I would guess by now you have decided it is dead. I have to put mine in the garage in winter, and it is always difficult to know when to water and when not. How often do you water them in the winter? I know I have lost some in the past because I didn't water enough. I was watering about once a month. This year I watered more, about every two weeks and I didn't lose anything. I would guess it got too dry.
    Kay

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012