Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small Tree help - Japanese Maple?

Posted by bellily 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 1, 10 at 22:05

Hello,

I have some Emerald Green Arborvitae along my fence line and would like to plant some trees next to them as a second barrier (view and sound). My questions are:
1) I am looking for a tree that gets 10" wide by 15" tall. Any suggestions for zone 6? I have limited space (9ft x 9 ft). I worry the tree may crowd the Arborvitae. Are my options limited?
2) How big does the root structure get for trees (i.e. Japanese Maple)? Also, there is a sewer drain. How far away do I need to plant the tree from the drain?
3) How far should I plant the tree from the Arborvitae?

Thanks in advance for any help. Bel

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small Tree help - Japanese Maple?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 2, 10 at 11:04

Foliage does not block sound. Japanese maples do tend to make dense summer foliage (good for screening at that time of the year), you might try 'Shishigashira' for one that has a suitable growth habit for your situation. All of the many varieties of Japanese maple need good drainage. A solid, intact pipe will not be affected by tree roots, these are only attracted to leaks. Even then a Japanese maple is not the type that would be particularly likely to clog pipes, if anything your existing hedge would probably get in their first (unless much farther away). The maple will not bother the hedge noticeably unless branching right against or over it, if you ever want to walk between the two you need to plant the maple far enough to the front to allow for that anyway.

o
RE: Small Tree help - Japanese Maple?

Thanks for the help bboy! Very helpful infomation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here