Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ugly Duckling Story

Posted by tsugajunkie z5 SE WI (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 22:23

Got an 'Orangeola' three years ago that was hideous. A flimsy whip that was bare trunk for 3 1/2 feet, a 90 degree turn, a foot more of bare trunk and 6-8 inches of leaves at the end. I told the seller that its only use was as a gag gift and they rightly replaced it. During that first year two buds sprouted on either side of the 90 degree bend. That first winter/spring the bend part died but the two sprouts grew exponentially. This, the third year, it has the makings of a swan.

Front view...

photo orangeola2.jpg

Side view...

photo orangeola1.jpg

tj

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ugly Duckling Story

bump

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 11:41

I had one that was somewhat jacked too. Its looking quite nice now as yours.

This is a top 5 Acer palmatum for zone 5.

o

TJ.

Resiliency stories the best, I have a Tsukushigata that was nibbled down to just above the graft somewhere around 7 years ago. I was ready to give up on it, but now it is flourishing. Thanks for sharing

Keith

o

I'd say it definetely turning into a swan! That's a beautiful tree!

Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here