Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shwedler Maple

Posted by firstyeargardener (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 08 at 22:49

Hi,

I am considering purchasing a shwedler maple for my yard. Is a shwedler a type of norway maple? My yard is a subdivsion yard, approx 50x65 feet deep so it's not very large. Will this tree eventually outgrow my yard?

Also, I should mention that we are having an inground pool installed, however, the tree would be at the opposite end of the pool.

Is this tree a bad choice for my yard?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shwedler Maple

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 18, 08 at 15:31

If you are sure you want a purple Norway maple buy a more recent cultivar with a good purple color. 'Schwedleri' has leaves opening purple and then going nearly green. It is also an old enough name to be used in practice broadly, for more than one introduction so what you may be sold under this name may differ somewhat from what you may read about.

And like most Norway maples it produces a large dense tree tending to end up with bare ground beneath. In my mild zone this cold winter climate species may also become infested with aphids during the dry weather of summer, their secretions making it look as though oiled. Objects and surfaces beneath can be expected to become similarly coated, and may grow sooty mold fungus.

Perhaps the main objection to planting Norway maples in North America is that this is an invasive pest species here, with more than a few sites having becoming flooded with its progeny.

Other commonly offered purple-leaved trees are 'Forest Pansy' redbud, purple European beech, purple-leaved plum and purple-leaved chokecherry. The last has the possible advantage of being a North American native, adapted to continental climates (you don't say what region you are in).

o

Thank you for your advice. I am in Ontario, Canada...Zone 6. I am looking for a nice maple tree that will give me privacy and shade, however, not take over my yard in 10 years. Our local tree farm has some fairly nice large Shwedler maples I was considering purchasing. I've been doing some research on the trees and am a bit concerned that it may grow too large for my yard.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 19, 08 at 14:16

One in Grimsby, Ontario was 62' tall with a trunk 11' around during 1974.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here