Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crimson Queen - waterfall or vertical?

Posted by madtripper 5/6 Guelph (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 18, 07 at 23:11

I was looking at Crimson Queen today. They had two rows of them. One row contained plants that were very vertical with horizontal branches near the top of hte stem. The second row was shorter, and branches were weeping.

Is this difference due ot pruning techniques?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crimson Queen - waterfall or vertical?

It is most likely due to a combination of pruning and training/staking, and possibly due to nutrient supply and other environmental issues. If I had to guess, I would say that the two different types came from different growers which would explain a slightly different habit.

Generally vigorous plants show more weeping characteristics than nutrient deprived specimens since the weight of the long new shoots causes the pendulous nature ('Crimson queen' is usually a bit more compact and doesn't show as much of this variability as say 'tamukeyama' IMO). If the two plants were planted in the ground at your house and given the same training and nutrient supply, they would eventually start to mirror each other on the outside.

You will have a large amount of control over what type of outer branching you have after a couple of years under your care. You can't, however, change the interior limb structure very much which is usually the most important part to the trees beauty. This should be the primary factor when choosing between different plants of the same cultivar in my opinion (especially weepers).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here