Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mccallumjoe

Using Tree Tone fertilizer on JMs

Spacehog
11 years ago

Hello again. I have a question about fertilizer that maybe some of you could shed some light on. I planted some of my Japanese Maples this weekend because things are starting to cool down a bit. I used some topsoil, compost, a bit of sulfur to lower the ph and some of this stuff called Tree Tone. It is an organic fertilizer and it talked about how it is good for trees because of some beneficial microbes. I read somewhere about the benefit of certain microbes and how they are good for Japanese Maples, so I used the stuff.

However, I also have been reading more recently about how people do not like to use much fertilizer with their Japanese Maples. Also, when people do use fertilizer, they like to do it early in the spring, not at the beginning of summer. Lastly, the stuff I was reading talked about how fertilizers that are low in nitrogen are usually considered better for JMs for some reason.

I'm wondering if I should keep using the Tree Tone because it is technically a fertilizer. It's kind of too late for some of my trees because I already planted them with the Tree Tone. But I still have a couple of trees left to plant soon so I'm curious to see what people think. Here is some basic information about Tree Tone: It is 6% Nitrogen, 3% Phosphate and 2% Potash. Also it contains several various micro-organisms. The bag says that you ought to use the fertilizer either early in the spring before growth, or after the leaves fall off in the fall. Obviously I'm breaking that rule, so there is one problem.

To put it simply, here is what I want to know. Should I be using this stuff when I plant my JMs if I am doing it in the summer? I am not going to wait till fall or next spring to plant, so timing is not really what I'm curious about. I just want to know if it would be wise to use this type of fertilizer considering the fact that I'm planting in early summer.

I'm also slightly curious about another product made by the same folks called Holly Tone. The numbers are a little bit more favorable: 4-3-4. Also, it is designed for more acid loving plants which some of my Japanese Maples are. So would using Holly Tone be better for my plan?

Comments (3)

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    11 years ago

I never, ever feed any newly planted plant anything until I see active new foliage growth.

I never, ever feed my JM's at all. I do throw Holly Tone around the beds each spring but do not target JM's specifically.

What did your soil test say?
    You know... your free yearly soil test that you get through your cooperative extension agency that you find by looking in the white pages by county?

You have done a soil test... right?
    Otherwise how could you possibly know what nutrients your plants are lacking?

:)

• Spacehog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I did do a soil test, and it showed that a needed about the same amount of phosphate and potash, and more nitrogen. I should point out that I wasn't really thinking about fertilizers when I used the Tree Tone. I used the stuff because they boasted beneficial microbes which I had read was good for Japanese Maple soil. I also kept reading that soils rich in organic material are generally better, so I thought the Tree Tone would be good on that front as well. As far as fertilizers go, it doesn't seem to be a very powerful one, so I didn't think much of it. I'm starting to think that using Holly Tone would in fact be better though. Do you think that the small amount of fertilizer will be harmful to my Japanese Maples then?

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    11 years ago

Here's the thing- when plants are newly transplanted their first order of business is to send out new roots in search of food. The more the roots have to search the deeper and farther they go and these wide ranging roots also anchor the plants and take in moisture.

If food is right there next to them they are not motivated to search and you lose the benefits all those new roots provide. So when there is a drought the plant may not have enough roots to find or even take up sufficient moisture. When there is a windstorm the plant may not have enough roots to keep it upright.

IMO trees just need nothing else but regular watering and then being left to settle in for at least the first year. Trees have been growing in soil since forever and they do not need to be fed.
    Microbes exist naturally and do not need to be purchased.

See to their moisture needs and leave them alone.