Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mccallumjoe

leaf scorch precautions?

Spacehog
11 years ago

I'm sorry if this has already been covered here. I am new to this forum and I couldn't find any on this topic when I looked at recent subjects. Anyway, I am a brand new gardener this year so I have a lot of questions. One question that has been on my mind is how to best ward off leaf scorch. Since Columbus, OH just hit 100 degrees for the first time since 1999 I am getting nervous about my Japanese Maples. Some of them have no leaf scorch that I can see and some of just a bit on the very tips. But I expect that they will be having some after a week of 90 degree weather without any rain.

I've read that deep waterings once a week is good for newly planted Japanese Maples and I have been doing that. I was curious if anyone else has advice for further precautionary measures that I could take. I really would love to see the fall colors of my new trees if at all possible. I'd hate for some leaf scorch to ruin the show.

Oh, one last thing. I saw some youtube video of a guy talking about leaf scorch on dissectum trees. He mentioned a product called wilt stop. I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with that. It seems like it might end up costing me too much if I have to keep buying and using it over and over again, so I figured I'd ask before using it.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions