Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help choosing a Japanese Maple

Posted by colagal sc (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 8, 07 at 0:11

I could use help choosing a Japanese Maple. The location would receive a lot of sun (from basically 1:00 p.m on) in hot, humid Columbia, SC. I would like the tree to eventually reach a height of about 25 feet - but smaller is fine, like 20 feet (I don't want a tiny one). Any thoughts, opinions, etc?? We were considering a Golden Raintree but are nervous as we have read they can be very invasive. Any thoughts on that??

Thank you in advance for any help you are willing to share!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help choosing a Japanese Maple

I will let someone in your area answer the JM question...as far as the Golden Raintree I would ask your local extension service ... around here they are fine and I have not found them invasive anymore than any seeded tree they are easy to kill unlike mulberries or even siver maples that are spread by birds ... The tree itself is very nice very fast growing and can be shaped to be very cool.. For HERE I highly recommend it I have several both as understudy trees and larger shade bearing ones and I love them...But as has been said... trees that are great in one area can be troublesome in others best to check with your county extension service. david

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here