Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chances of survival??

Posted by SamFelder none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 0:17

This Emerald Queen Norway Maple died at my work and they said I could have it. I cut the dead top off and the wood was very dry where I cut it, but there are two spots near the base that still have live growth on them. The soil was wet for days so it wasn't really taking in water (not surprising) but the leaves on the base seem to be in good health...

Any ideas on what happened to it and what I can do to try and save it? (I'm going to make it into a bonsai if it survives)

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chances of survival??

Would be helpful to know why it "died."
If from a soilborne disease, you are importing Big Time Problems to your Garden.

In my opinion, not worth the risk.

o

Thanks, that is a very good point!

Do you think that if I left it isolated and in the pot (either until it dies or until next spring when I could repot it in new soil) I would be okay?

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 15:51

The better question is why haven't you tossed it yet? Its a Emerald Queen Maple! lol

o

IMO, still not worth the risk.

o

Lots of growth in the last few days... maybe not a disease?
Perhaps it was just under-watered?

whaas - I haven't tossed it because it is (was) a $160 tree that I got for $0 and it will make an awesome bonsai in a few years when I can develop a canopy & nebari and reduce it to an appropriately sized bonsai pot.

o

It was probably some issues with the pot that killed of the top, like drought or freeze last winter. I don't think there is some disease in the soil.

o

That would be awesome!

Although... the top did appear to be healthy in the beginning of the season- fully budded and leaved out, and it died rather suddenly (though none of the ~10 other maples surrounding it did, and they were on the same shipment from the same grower).

jean001a - thanks for your words of caution, I will put it on the other side of the garage where there is nothing growing and post an update as to its progress after a while.

o

might those leaves be from the rootstock? :/

o

Well...

It finally gave out. Too bad, it had really nice taper/root structure below the soil - would have made a nice bonsai.

No (obvious) signs of fungus/insects in the soil/roots, but it looks like jean001a was right.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here