Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Koto no ito photos in winter?

Posted by maplesmagpie none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 0:53

Hello~

I'm considering Japanese maples for outside a picture window that faces our neighbor's yard. We need some privacy-- especially in the summer. Zone 5b, sheltered location, afternoon shade. There's only about 12 feet between houses, and our window is 5-10 feet off the ground, so it needs to be a moderately sized JM. About 15 feet away there's a young (7') Emperor 1.

My husband really likes Koto no ito, but I want to make sure we're getting a JM that has a beautiful winter structure as well as a bright green color. The tree will be right outside a main living space and get a lot of viewing from us.

Does anyone have pictures of koto no ito in winter? Is it twiggy? Any other bright green (not dark green, purple-green, or red-green) JMs you'd suggest for great branch structure that will max out around 10-12 feet?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Koto no ito photos in winter?

Not sure this is the best choice for you :-) First, it will be of marginal hardiness - many of the linearlobum varieties are rather delicate little creatures that like it neither too hot or too cold. Mine didn't overwinter a late cold snap in my usually mild and balmy zone 8/9. Second, it is just a small upright selection - no inherent sculptural characteristics to its growth habit although it is always best to see the young trees in person and make your judgment from that.

o

Thankfully we're relatively immune (knock on wood) to late cold snaps-- we're very near Lake Michigan, and it moderates our temperatures in the spring. I've seen Koto no ito on the lists of people's maples that made it through this incredibly cold Polar Vortex winter in 5b/6a, so I thought it would work here.

Is this others' experience of Koto no ito? That it won't do well in zone 5b?

o

It is only listed to zone 6. And if you'll notice, I am in zone 8 (actually closer to 9 since I am located on salt water). I was surprised to discover that mine did experience difficulty in cold weather (and believe me, my cold weather is nothing like what you experience in MI!!) but my experience with these specific types of JM's is that they are unusually delicate until well established. And I'm just not sure your location offers that potential.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here