Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drrich2

Help ID 2 Roadside Japanese Maples

drrich2
14 years ago

Hi:

I live in southwestern KY, zone 6. In Hopkinsville, heading down highway 68/80, I pass 2 trees I think are Japanese Maples I'd estimate to be around 15 - 20 feet tall. They are fairly upright in habit, have dissected leaves, and the leaves are mainly a fetching green but here and there we see an 'orange glaze' in portions of the foliage - quite striking. I'd like to plant one or two at my home. I'm guessing they're the same kind of tree, but that's not certain.

I'll post a link to a Photobucket album with my shots & hope that works. The pic titles tell you whether it's Tree 1 or 2 (those I'm trying to identify), or 3, a small Japanese Maple that's of interest for another reason.

http://s95.photobucket.com/albums/l147/drrich2/Plants/

Tree 1 is growing outward toward the road, seeking the sun. A couple of people standing nearby (owners or neighbors?) didn't know what kind of tree it was.

Tree 2 is growing in a yard where a woman who lives there simply told me it's a 'Japanese Maple,' and didn't seem to know any more about what kind of tree, other than to say it was the same kind as Tree 3 (given her evidently not knowing the cultivar of Tree 2, and the obvious multi-year difference in the trees' ages, I have to wonder whether that's accurate).

Tree 3 looks rather like a Bloodgood, but then I wouldn't know a Bloodgood from a Fireglow, for example, to look at.

So, is my 'dream tree' just a washed out Japanese Maple Tree that's lost the vast majority of its deep red?

Or are Trees 1 & 2 another type of Japanese Maple?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Richard.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hopefully link to Photobucket album with the Photos

Comments (12)

• drrich2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi:

I think I found out how to post pics to the thread.

Tree 1.

Tree 2.

Tree 3.

Richard.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

The first two trees are another variety of J. maple than is the red leafed one. From the photos, they look very much like the straight species, Acer palmatum, which can be quite variable in both the details of leaf size and coloring, but are predominately a bright green. And grows into a good sized tree. It is also possible that one or the other is a named cultivar like 'Osakazuki' or something similar.

FYI, there are 6 or 7 hundred registered cultivars of Japanese maples and probably at least 50% of them have green foliage during the primary growing season. Green is not a "washed out color" for a Japanese maple but the genetically dominant color - reds are the result of genetic mutations in the pigmentation. Folks tend to notice red leafed forms more in summer due to the coloration, but many green maples get outstanding fall color and are equally as popular.

• drrich2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks. At some local nurseries I've seen several types of Japanese Maple, some of which as you say are mainly green outside of Fall, but none look quite like those 2 large ones.

These 2 seems to have a 'Bloodgood style' leaf, but green, and the green foliage has what I'd call an 'orange glaze' highlight in portions of the foliage, and that's something I haven't seen on the much smaller offerings at the nurseries. It's also interesting that there are 2 looking like that, within a quarter mile of each other.

So, are you thinking this might be 'the original' Japanese Maple rather than a Cultivar? Is that 'orange glaze' frequently seen on those?

I did some quick Googling on the Osakazuki you mentioned; that does indeed look a lot like it. Some pics seem have have a hint of the orange glaze I'm after, but text descriptions tend to claim foliage is green and not mention the other, until Fall. It's not Fall here.

I'd consider buying one or two for a Fall planting. The Osakazuki looks rather promising.

Richard.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

The species itself, from which all named cultivars have arisen, is quite variable in appearance in that the foliage will range in size and specific coloration. Generally the leaves will be a clear green but weather, growing conditions and genetics can create both reddish or orange tints in full sun. The species also tends to be hardier than named forms and often will mature into a relatively large tree for a J. maple. Fall coloring can be stunning - just as colorful and striking as any named form.

Because there are so many cultivars with very specific attributes and appearances that many growers admire, the species itself may not be all that common in nurseries outside of JM specialty nurseries. It may also be helpful to know that young Japanese maples, like one would typically find in most nurseries, often do not display the form and grace they will eventually grow into, nor do they necessarily display all the foliage attributes they will eventually develop.

FWIW, 'Osakazuki' is an excellent choice, both for form, hardiness and outstanding fall color.

• herman_neutics
    14 years ago

Hey Richard,

Nice photos! It's pretty nearly impossible to correctly ID JMs. There are over 3000 named (palmatum, japonica and shirasawanum) cultivars.

I agree that the green tree does look like 'Osakazuki' except that the leaf size is a bit small for that cultivar. There are many forms of 'Osakazuki' I'd say that the plant in your pic is an example.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Osakazuki'

• davidv
    14 years ago

I have the book 'World Checklist of Maples Cultivar Names' first edition in front of me. From my calculations there is over 4,200 in there and the next edition will carry at least one more so far of one that I had just regestered.

Dave

• herman_neutics
    14 years ago

Hey Dave,

I think there are about 3k or so just counting the "Japanese Maples". Even in that category plenty are not listed.

The registration requirements aren't especially rigorous I think that how the count got so high. Hope your tree is especially distinctive.

• drrich2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sounds great, guys; thanks for all the help! I knew I wouldn't be apt to identify it accurately from flipping through photos online; as you pointed out, there are way too many Japanese Maples out there to choose from. Which is a good thing in its way, I suppose.

Richard.

• davidv
    14 years ago

Hello Herman

I would like to think it is especially distinctive at least the ICRA for Maples thought it was.

Here is the e-mail sent back to me:

Dear Dave,
    Many thanks for the completed registration form and pictures of your new Acer palmatum cultivar 'Verkade's Jacus Potus'. This name has been registered and added to the Checklist of Maple Cultivar Names. I already had your address, so this was no problem.

Your plant certainly looks distinctive and worthwhile. As the description of 'Verkade's Jacus Potus' has not been published, would you like me to include it in the Maple Society;s autumn magazine ?

With regard to registering a conifer cultivar name. I think there are several registration authorities depending on which genus it is. Dr Janet Cubey could advise you on this. Her e-mail address is : janetcubey@rhs.org.uk. Otherwise, I can find out for you at the Registrars Meeting to be scheduled sometime in September.

Happy Growing,

Peter

The pictures are of Acer Palmatum 'Verkade's Jacus Potus' in various stages of leaf formation and ages. I hope all comes out well. I am very excited about this one. For me it is very unique.

They are even going to change the name of the maple I name after my wife in the mid 70's. They have it listed as Acer Palmatum Diane Verkade. The name should have been Dianne. As the wife puts it Dianne with two n's.

Here is a link that might be useful: Acer Palmatum 'Verkades Jacus Potus'

• davidv
    14 years ago

This is the application form that I had to fill out. Very simple. Plus had to send pictures of the plant

Dave

APPLICATION TO REGISTER A MAPLE CULTIVAR NAME
    (See guidance notes overleaf)

Species PALMATUM Cultivar name to be registered VERKADEÂS JACUS POTUS
    Person or Organisation originating name ÂDAVID VERKADE OF DAVEÂS NURSERY
    Person or organisation registering name ÂDAVID VERKADE ÂÂÂÂ
    Have any other names been used for this cultivar, such as a nursery code name, registered trade mark, etc ? Yes/No NO
    If so, what is/are the names ? ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ..
    Details of Origin
    Chance seedling, witches broom, mutant or deliberate cross ÂSEEDLING ÂÂ
    Seed /sport parent, if known ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ
    Pollen parent, if known ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ
    Person/organisation who selected this cultivar, if different from above ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ..
    No. of years under observation ÂÂ4ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ..
    Description of Cultivar
    General Description ÂÂTHE MAPLE IS NAME FOR MY DAUGHTER JACQUELINE VERKADE ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ.
    ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ.
    THE NEW FLUSH OF SPRING GROWTH IS A VERY THIN RIBBON LEAF OF DEEP BURGUNDY COLOUR APPROXIMATELY ¾" LONG AND AS IT MATURES INTO AN ODD SHAPE TURNS TO A SALMON COLOUR THEN TURNS TO GREEN. THE SHAPE OF THE LEAF WHEN MATURE RESEMBLES ACER PALMATUM HAGOROMO. THE PETIOLE REMAINS PINKISH IN COLOUR. THE PETIOLE IS ALMOST NON-EXISTENCE. THE SECOND FLUSH OF GROWTH IS NOT LIKE THE FIRST, IT COMES OUT IN SALMON COLOUR AND NOT THE THIN RIBBON LEAF OF THE FIRST FLUSH OF GROWTH THEN TURNS TO GREEN. THE NODES ARE VERY CLOSE TOGETHER AND THE BRANCHES ARE THIN AND DELICATE LOOKING. THE PLANT GROWS IN BUSH FORM.
    ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂOutstanding Features ÂODD LEAF AND THE SALMON COLOURS ON THE SECOND FLUSH OF GROWTHÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ...
    ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ.
    Similar established cultivar(s), if knownÂHagoromo, Kosh mino, Momenshide ÂÂÂÂÂÂ
    Suitable garden/landscape uses (e.g. small or large garden, landscape, patio, container, bonsai) ?
    ÂÂÂÂ SMALL OR LARGE GARDEN AND LANDSCAPE
    ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ
    Cultural needs (e.g. full sun, shade, wind protection) ? ÂÂFILTERED SUNLIGHT ÂÂÂÂ
    ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ
    Propagation method (s) ÂÂGRAFTING ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ
    Publication
    Has the name and description of this cultivar been published yet ? Yes/No. NO
    Relevant first publication e.g. catalogue, magazine, book, and date ...

• herman_neutics
    14 years ago

Nice Dave. It does look distinctive. Thanks for sharing all those details. Does Ed S. have a plant or will you be sharing any scion? Will your plant be on the auction table at next years maple viewing?

• davidv
    14 years ago

Ed has a plant with strict orders that he can not share any scion wood with anyone or graft any plants until 2020. He showed it at his last gathering and people received the viewing with high expectations. It will be a few more years before I have enough to start selling. I am holding back on the sales so that when I start I will be the first out to sell. Since I did not patent the plant I wanted to make sure that I will be the only one with it. A friend of my and my brother also have one. I am keeping it under tight security.

Dave

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor