Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Autumn Blaze Red Maple

Posted by Pookie5569 Detroit (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 2:35

I Just Bought a 15 foot Autumn Blaze #15 Freeman Red Maple and it is July 28, 2014 in Detroit. Is it ok to plant it now or do I have to wait until Sometime in September? Also, will the leaves be Green all summer or will they be Red? Can someone Please tell me something about this tree as I know Nothing about it other than it is Beautiful in the fall.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Autumn Blaze Red Maple

I have a maple tree that I dug up in mid june, he kind of died but is now doing great, I suspect it is an Autum blaze but I'm not sure, is it better to wait till fall to transplant it in the ground??? Can I plant it in a red maple-aspen-birch forest?

o

Is it container or B&B?

How large is the container (or B&B)?

o

You can plant it now, as long as you can reach it with a water hose. I would get it in the ground. It will be green all summer and beautiful in the fall. It grows pretty fast, sometimes the trunk gets vertical cracks in it but it doesn't seem to hurt it. It is prone to some bad V-shaped branch crotches that you'll want to remove when young.

o

nurseryman33 4/5 Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 19:19 wrote:
> It is prone to some bad V-shaped branch crotches
> that you'll want to remove when young.

Ditto that. Wish I'd known 13 years ago.

Once they get to a certain size you can't remove them without substantial stress to the tree. And if you leave them alone, they'll eventually split in a windstorm.

I have two gorgeous maples, one 30' and the other 37', both of which I have large branch V crotch. About 3 years ago I tethered the branches with eye-screws and polyester cord.

Here is a link that might be useful: tether

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here