Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maple bark scratch identification help (pic)

Posted by toronado3800 Z6 St. Louis (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 29, 08 at 2:40

Tree is about 10 feet tall, one of them arbor day free red maples. Its planted smack in the middle of the wet spot in my yard. Really its growing quite fine but every few months scratches like these pop back up.

If its a small animal I guess I can put a fence back up around the tree. Had some deer in the yard ravage an arborvitae and hinoki cypress this spring, don't know if I'm willing to install a tall enough fence to deter them.

Any ideas?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maple bark scratch identification help (pic)

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 29, 08 at 12:26

Maybe try wrapping affected area with tree wrap or putting a narrow wire enclosure around the trunk for awhile.

o

Acer rubrum in case you're interested.

Dax

o

My guess is it might be squirrels, but they do most of their feeding like this in the late winter or early spring when other food is scarce.

o

Excellent. Maybe they're climbing the darn thing tearin it up. Any more and here comes the chicken wire!

To this point Dax it hasn't displayed very good fall color. Been blaming that on age or location. Maybe dumb luck.

o

Acer rubrum seedlings are almost always yellowish with dull fall color. You'd need to buy a named cultivar such as 'Embers', 'Red Sunset', 'October Glory', etc -

Those little scratches won't do anything to the health of your tree but I agree that it's time to protect it. Chicken wire is good.

Dax

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here