Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can you propagate maples via air layering?

Posted by Sarah80 5b OH (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 8:19

Specifically palmatums, but perhaps rubrums and others...I have tried rooting softwood cuttings, but they either dry up or rot.

Has anyone here succesfully air layered a maple?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can you propagate maples via air layering?

look for threads on layering in bonsai groups. They have a lot of info about air layering & ground layer. I think it is worth joining so that you can see the pictures

Keith

Here is a link that might be useful: bonsai nut propagation forum

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 14:25

Our native Vine Maple roots when a limb or trunk is on the ground for some time. Propagation of palmatums is usually done by seeds or named varieties by grafting.
Mike

o

Air layering has been very successful for me with japanese maples, but I've only tried it with young trees that grew from seed. The only problem is that particularly heavily bred varieties can have weaker root systems than seedling stock. This, along with speed of propagation, is one of the reasons so many named varieties are grafted. I think it's definitely worth a shot, and I've often fantasized about sneaking into arboretums at night to air layer their maple collections.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 13:34

Maples air layer easily. As a bonsai practitioner (and bonsai judge), I realize it's imperative that my trees exhibit a strong buttress, and that the roots radiate evenly and horizontally around the tree. When buying deciduous material, experienced bonsai artists look almost exclusively at the root structure (nebari) where the plant makes the transition from root to trunk when deciding if the plant they are considering is one they would like to own. Here is how I develop good roots by air layering.

This is a trident maple that has been air layered:
 photo repots007.jpg

This one was done using a wire to constrict the polar flow of photosynthate and auxin, so they collect in tissue above the constriction and create a bulge that adds to the root buttress:
 photo repots013-1.jpg
 photo repots010-1.jpg

These pictures are actually the first repot after the air layer was completed, but the constriction wire is very visible.

These plants were layered using soil in a pot that was arranged around the constriction. The BEST way to ensure success is like this:

A) Choose the branch or stem to be layered and wrap 1 or 2 zip ties around the branch.
 photo repotting008.jpg
This is a hornbeam - maples are even easier.

Wait for a considerable bulge to develop above the constriction (I didn't on this tree), then drill a few holes that are evenly spaced, just above the constriction. Fill the holes with rooting gel, let the gel dry,
 photo repotting011.jpg

then, start your layer. Here is a zelcova in a container (on right) I'm layering the top off of in a pot:
 photo ChinaDoll003.jpg

It's also very helpful if you precondition the area above the constriction by keeping light away from that area. That predisposes the plant to developing root initials in that area. I use electrical tape applied not too tightly and applied so the sticky part is facing out - away from the bark. Now is a good time to begin preparing for an air layer you intend to start next spring. You can also use the method by which you ring the bark and remove a ring equal to at least 1.5x the diameter of the trunk @ the point at which you ring it. Be sure you remove ALL of the cambium, right down to sapwood.

photo Mother-daughterAcer.jpg

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here