Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sugar Maples Cultivars Opinions

Posted by gardener365 5a (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 4, 09 at 8:51

I found a few I like. Anyone growing any of these (link below). Scroll 3/4 the way down.

The two that interested me the most are 'Powhatten' no info on growth rate, partially why I posted.

And, 'Barrett Cole' TM "Apollo".

Thanks for all your input.

Dax

Here is a link that might be useful: small plants

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sugar Maples Cultivars Opinions

I had 3 apollos. Now I have 2. Lost one to Ambrosia beetles

The fall color is on these is right up there with the best of the best IMO. Better in sun of course. Unless you have a very narrow space I'd get something that grows larger and wider. And taller. These trees do look a bit like they are continually sheared. Because they are very dense.

I also have another narrow growing cultivar called Steeple (Astis) I'm pleased with the form of that but the color isn't as good and it doesn't appear to do well in the full sun and heat which is is surprising since it is supposedly a southern source. The apollos appeared to do well in the heat and drought here but one of them got bugs anyway and died. Anyhoo. That's about all I can say.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here