Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sugar maples that color evenly in fall

Posted by hairmetal4ever Z7 MD (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 25, 12 at 9:01

I love the fall color of sugar maples (A. saccharum of course), but find it annoying that so many of them color very unevenly. Some in my area have a single limb that colors a full month before the rest of the tree and ends up bare while the rest of the leaves are still green. Is this phenomenon more genetic to the tree, or is it based on environment?

Secondly, are there cultivars more likely to color more or less all at once in the fall, instead of having some branches nearly bare before other leaves have even shown much more than a hint of color?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sugar maples that color evenly in fall

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 27, 12 at 16:00

What you described is what I see on stressed or diseased trees. They color evenly here for the most part but the actual shades of color aren't necessarily even.

So to that that end all sugar maples color evenly IME. At worst you'll see the top and most outter leaves color first.

Photobucket

o
RE: sugar maples that color evenly in fall

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 9:33

Gorgeous picture!
Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here